University of Cape Town UCT Admission Requirements 2022/2023
University of Cape Town UCT Admission Requirements – Details:
Your journey to University of Cape Town UCT starts here. The future belongs to those with the curiosity and determination to shape it for the better. At University of Cape Town UCT, you can be one of them. We are here to help make each step towards becoming a University of Cape Town UCT student a smooth experience.
Admission as a freshman takes into account a number of factors. This includes specific courses you completed in high school and your grades in those courses.
Please review all applicable requirements prior to applying for admission and pay the required fees.
Admission Requirements 2022/2023
The following requirements apply to all students who are interested in pursuing a program at the University of Cape Town UCT. Depending upon what type of applicant you are, you may also have to meet additional requirements. The minimum requirements for University of Cape Town UCT admission are outlined below:
Eligibility for admission
The following requirements apply to all students who are interested in pursuing a program at the University of Cape Town UCT. Depending upon what type of applicant you are, you may also have to meet additional requirements.
1.Undergraduate Certificate Study
To confirm eligibility for admission to undergraduate certificate study, applicants must consult the Admissions Office or the faculty concerned.
2.Undergraduate Diploma Study
The minimum requirement for admission to undergraduate diploma study is a National Senior Certificate (NSC) as certified by Umalusi with an achievement rating of 3 (Moderate Achievement, 40-49%) or better in 4 recognized NSC 20-credit subjects.
3.Bachelor’s Degree Study
To be eligible for admission to degree study, applicants need to meet minimum requirements for eligibility:
1.Applicants holding a South African National Senior Certificate (NSC) need to pass a minimum of 4 subjects at a rating of 4 (Adequate Achievement, 50-59%) or better in any four 20-credit NSC subjects.
2.Applicants holding a South African Senior Certificate need matriculation endorsement.
3.Applicants holding non-South African school-leaving certificates must qualify for a matriculation exemption certificate. For more information please visit the website of the Matriculation Board.
Minimum language proficiency
All applicants must have attained a certain level of proficiency in English and are required to submit evidence of this, as outlined below, as part of their application to study.
1.South African Senior Certificate undergraduate applicants
- South African Senior Certificate undergraduate applicants to UCT must have achieved a pass of 40% or more on the Higher Grade in English (First or Second Language) at Senior Certificate level.
2.South African NSC undergraduate applicants
- South African NSC undergraduate applicants to UCT, must have achieved a rating of 2 (Elementary Achievement, 30-40%) or better at Home Language or First Additional Language level.
Applicants holding non-South African school-leaving certificates
- Please see UCT’s language requirements.
For further information on the IELTS and TOEFL exams, please contact the UCT English Language Centre.
Calculating Admissions Points Score (APS)
The percentages achieved in National Senior Certificate examinations (preliminary and final examinations) will be allocated an admission score equal to that percentage.
The sum of 6 subjects, excluding Life Orientation, but including English and any required subject(s) for the relevant program, is considered when deciding on admission. For example, for a given program where Maths and Physical Sciences are required, we will take scores for English, Maths, Physical Sciences and the next best 3 subjects other than Life Orientation to compute the NSC score towards the APS.
Results below 40% for any subject do not attract a score.
Online Application Closing date at University of Cape Town UCT
The 2022 University of Cape Town UCT Admission Closing date is scheduled as follows:
- Final results from the November 2021 Cambridge Assessment International Education (CAIE) are released.
- Self-Service components are unavailable due to 2022 undergraduate admission processing.
- Final results from the 2021 National Senior Certificate (NSC) examinations are released.
- First-Year Campus Reception for students registering in 2022.
- Orientation starts for first-year students.
- First semester starts at UCT.
- Applications for admission in 2023 will open. Applications will close on 31 July 2022 for all undergraduate programs. We do not consider late applications.
- The National Benchmark Tests (NBTs) will open for registrations for the 2023 intake.
- All undergraduate applications close. We do not accept late applications.
- Applications for student housing close.
- Closing date for undergraduate program changes. Requests must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Request for program change”.
- National Student Funding Assistance Scheme (NSFAS) funding applications open. You must apply online.
- For applicants finishing secondary school in 2021, all grade 12 interim results, or predicted scores in the case of non-NSC candidates, are due.
- Interim and past transcripts for transferring applicants are due.
- Last date to apply for National Student Funding Assistance Scheme (NSFAS) funding. You must apply online.
- Final transcripts for transferring applicants are due.
NB: All applicants who have successfully submitted their application forms should constantly check their online application status for more updates on their application.
Contact Address of University of Cape Town UCT
For more information and enquiries, contact the University of Cape Town UCT below: